Foreign pilots

Pilot domiciled abroad

Solo pilot :

A pilot who is not domiciled in Switzerland may fly occasionally if he holds an international licence (IPPI) of level IV or V. This licence is issued by the national federation of the country of origin.

Tandem pilot :

For occasional, non-commercial tandem flights, a foreign tandem licence is sufficient. Commercial flights are only permitted with a Swiss licence.

Liability insurance :

The pilots must have a liability insurance with a minimum cover of CHF 1 million.


Pilot domiciled in Switzerland

As soon as a pilot is domiciled in Switzerland, the Swiss licence is compulsory to fly in Switzerland. Pilots holding a foreign licence benefit from simplified admission conditions. You will find details for each country on FSVL’s official website, in the following section: Foreigners pilot.


You do not have a recognized licence and you wish to fly in Switzerland?

It’s possible ! You have two choices :

You are travelling or do not fly regularly in Switzerland

⇒ You fly with a school, under the control of a Swiss paragliding instructor.

Advantages : you are supervised by a paragliding instructor and benefit from his advices.

Insurances : you must have an accident insurance covering the practice of paragliding and an paragliding liability insurance (there are possibilities to subscribe to a provisional liability insurance if necessary).  

Rates : 30 chf/flight.

Are you travelling with a friend who doesn’t fly ? He or she can fly tandem with an instructor.

You decide to pass the Swiss pilot’s licence

⇒ You pass the licence

Advantages : a very complete training, recognized in many foreign countries and valid for life.

Requirement : 

  • Complete training (pilot with little or no experience): 50 flights minimum supervised by an instructor + a theoretical exam + a practical exam.
  • Accelerated training (pilot with some experience): an “X” number of training flights necessary to pass the exams figures + a partial theoretical exam + a practical exam (depends on the experience acquired and the exams already passed in the country of origin).  

Insurance : you must have an accident insurance covering paragliding and a paragliding liability insurance (it is possible to subscribe a liability insurance directly to the FSVL).

Rates : On request, depends on the type of courses the people need. 

A beautiful adventure that will allow you to fly on your own wings 🙂